What is Bicycles for Humanity?
Bicycles for Humanity (WA) Inc. – (B4H WA) – is part of a world-wide, grass-roots, volunteer-run movement focused on simple, sustainable empowerment through bicycle transport in the developing world. B4H WA collects pre-loved bikes from the public, repairs them and ships them in containers to NGO partners in Africa, where they are implemented as bike shops run by the community for the benefit of the community.
Who developed the concept?
The Bicycles for Humanity concept was developed initially by a Pat Montani who established the first B4H Chapter in Whistler, Canada in about 2005. There are now over 60 chapters around the world.
Who does Bicycles for Humanity help?
B4H WA helps underprivileged communities in Africa, principally Namibia to date, through small business development projects. These projects not only provide much needed increased mobility for people who would otherwise walk, but also jobs, training and economic development.
A bike allows someone to travel twice as far, twice as fast and carry four times the load. A bike can mean access to education, health care, fresh water, economic opportunity and community.
Do you have any specific stories of how Bicycles for Humanity has changed lives?
Here is some feedback from some of the projects we have been involved with:
“We r greatfull 4 your support… It helpz us alot” Duweltjie Bicycle Shop, Keetmanshoop
“We are very appreciative of the effort you make to help us continue with the projects through the
assistance of the Bicycle empowerment network. This project teaches a lot and empowers us to
support ourselves through the funds generated.” Rainbow Bicycle Shop, Rehoboth
“Please forward our gratitude to the community in Perth and your organization Bicycles for Humanity
for their kind gesture to open their hearts and hands to the less fortunate people of our society.” Joseph Tjitikulu Catholic AIDS Action, Orongo Province
“.. the bicycle project seems to have given the people working there a basic goal in life. They seem to be dedicated. … the project has made a clear difference in the lives of those that are involved here. Thank you very much for giving them this opportunity by helping in the way you did.” PP Ulf Grünewald International Director Lüderitz Rotary Club
How can people get involved?
People can help us by donating bikes, volunteer time or cash.
Donate bike(s) :
* We need adult size mountain/hybrid type bikes suitable for African conditions.
* Please leave donated bikes at:
* Garland Cycleworks Canning Highway South Perth (Junction of Berwick St)
* Pat Howell 23 Minilya St Innaloo – 9446-4170 (drop off behind front fence)
* Col & Sal at 66 Wichmann St Attadale – 0402-132-523 (drop off at front of garage or inside gate)
* Frank Konstek at 27 Wolfe Road, Banjup – 0411-661-144
* Noel Brenzi at 4 Nullewa Parkway Lakelands Mandurah – 0415-937-060
* Robinson Group – 56 Irvine Drive Malaga (factory unit) – (ph) 9249-7055 – (m) 0413-615-134
* Sandy & Michael – 1040 Bailey Road, Glen Forrest 6071 (ph) 9298-8597 – (m) 0429-163-841
* Ross & Renee – 29 Leaside Way Spearwood
* Wendy & Jamie at 17 East St Guildford – 0402-132-523 (leave bikes on verandah or side of house).
* Fix bikes at B4H Workshop – Open Tues and Fri from 09:00am -1:00pm, at Jack Williamson Oval, Eveline Street, Middle Swan – no experience necessary – we’ll show you how. Have some fun, meet new friends and fix some bikes for Africans.
* Fix bikes at home, or wherever and deliver to us. We can supply bikes in need of repair from our store;
* Become involved in admin and fund raising, assisting committee;
* Your call!
To make tax a deductible donation to Bicycles for Humanity (WA) Inc. by credit card, direct credit or cheque, simply go to the Rotary Australia World Community Service link below and follow the instructions. https://donations.rawcs.com.au/Default.aspx?ProjectID=709&ReturnTo=4